Success in IELTS writing task 2 is based on using the right techniques. These free tips, model essays, lessons, videos and information will help develop the skills for writing task 2. This page will teach you how to maximise your IELTS writing task 2 score.
Essential Information for IELTS Writing Task 2
All IELTS students should read the pages below:
IELTS Essay Questions
Practice IELTS essay questions on common topics that appear in the IELTS writing task 2 test.
Essential Writing Task 2 Tips
The most important tips to write a strong essay in writing task 2. Learn about the recommended essay length, how to plan your essay, when to give your opinion and how to write an introduction.
How many paragraphs for an IELTS essay?: Essay structure
Key Linking Words List: Academic Vocabulary
Video: How to write an introduction paragraph: Complete lesson
Essay Planning Tips: How to plan your IELTS essay
Common Essay Topics: 20 Most Common Essay Topics
Video: Essay Length Advice: How long should your essay be?
Video: Official Writing Answer Sheet Tips: Using the answer sheet
When to give your opinion: Opinion Essay Tips
Video Using the last 5 minutes: Exam technique tips
Video: Paraphrasing Tips
More Video & Tips for Writing Task 2
- 10 sentences to avoid in your IELTS essay
- Video: How to add examples to your essay
- Tips: Under Words Penalty
- Do advantages outweigh disadvantages tips?
- Video: How to give your opinion
- Can you use quotes or idioms in your essay?
- Handwriting: Using cursive writing or not
- Essay Questions from 2016
- Writing a Long Introduction: Good or Bad?
- Video: Single-sex & Mixed Schools
- Video: Grammar – How to Add a Clause
- Video: Grammar – Connecting Sentences
- Video: Conclusion Linkers
- Video: Discussion Essay Useful Language
- Video: Using the Last 5 Minutes Tips
- Video: Should Ideas be Interesting?
IELTS Advanced Training
Buy Advanced Lessons for Writing Task 2. Is your target band 7? Is it difficult to hit band 7? Think about my advanced lessons: Advanced IELTS Writing Task 2 Lessons
Sample essays for IELTS writing task 2. These high score model essays will help you understand how to answer the essay questions and how to structure your writing.
- Agree Disagree Opinion Essay: Health
- Advantages & Disadvantages Essay: Language
- Cause Solution Essay: Crime & Punishment
- Direct Questions Essay: Happiness
- Opinion Essay: Social Media
- Discussion Essay: Work
- Direct Questions Essay: Family
- Direct Questions Essay: Art
- Positive or Negative Development: Social Media
Practice Lessons for Writing Task 2
Develop your IELTS writing skills and get useful ideas for many essay questions. Lessons are in order of date and new lessons will be added over time.
- Essay Questions for 2017 – questions reported in the test this year.
- Using Passive Voice for Giving Opinions
- Essay Ideas: Employment Competition
- Writing Skills: Paraphrasing Practice
- Writing Skills: Improving Sentences (2)
- Essay Ideas: The Importance of History
- Essay Ideas: Housing & Trees
- Essay Ideas: International Aid
- Essay Ideas: City Transport
- Essay Ideas: Salaries
- Essay Ideas: Function of Schools
- Essay Ideas: Female Staff in Senior Positions
- Writing Skills: Punctuation Practice
- Writing Skills: Linking Word Practice
- Essay Ideas: Littering in Cities
- Listen and Write Dictation: Natural Disasters
- Discussion Essay with Feedback: Music Topic
- Writing Skills: Improving Sentences: Ebooks Topic
- Essay Ideas: Banning Mobile Phones
- Two Question Essay with Feedback: Judging Business Success
- Essay Ideas: Tourism and Local Communities
- Essay Ideas: Traffic & Pollution
- Writing Skills: Improving a Thesis Statement
- Writing Skills: Improving Sentences (1)
- Essay Ideas: Handwriting Skills
- Writing Skills: Linking Word Practice
- Essay Ideas: Promoting to Children
- Essay Ideas: Older or Younger Leaders
- Writing Skills: Introduction Feedback
- Writing Skill: Opinion Essay Introduction Feedback
- Writing Skills: Opinion Essay Body Paragraphs
- Writing Skills: Opinion Essay Introduction
- Writing Skills: Opinion Essay Finding Main Points
- Writing Skills: Thesis Statement
- Essay Ideas: Public Services
IELTS Liz’s Advanced Lessons
NEW!! IELTS in-depth lessons about IELTS essay writing for a high score. Learn all the techniques needed for success in IELTS writing task 2. You can purchase individual essay lessons.
- Click here for lessons: IELTS Liz’s Online Writing Lessons
Main IELTS Pages
Develop your IELTS skills with tips, lessons, free videos and more.
Get my free lessons by email