“Shoes” is a current topic in IELTS Speaking Part 1. Below are some typical questions for this topic and two model answers.
Here is a link to learn useful vocabulary for types of shoes: SHOES VOCAB LIST
There are useful links for IELTS speaking at the bottom of this page.
Questions for the Topic of SHOES
- What kind of shoes do you usually wear?
- Do you have a favourite pair of shoes?
- How often do you buy shoes?
- Where do you usually buy your shoes?
- What do you look for in a pair of shoes?
- Would you ever spend a lot of money on a pair of shoes?
- Do you think the type of shoes someone wears reflects their character?
- Do you think men and women have the same attitude towards shoes?
- Are there any shoes in your country that shouldn’t be worn at work?
- Do people usually wear different types of shoes in different seasons in your country?
- Q) What kind of shoes do you usually wear?
- A) I mostly wear flat shoes rather than high heeled shoes because I find them more comfortable. I also go for shoes that aren’t lace-ups so that I can slip them on and off whenever I need to.
- Q) Do you think the type of shoes someone wears reflects their character?
- A) Yes, I do. People say that first impressions are important and I think that goes for shoes too. If you see a person wearing a worn out pair of shoes, it gives you the impression that they that are sloppy. On the other hand, if you see someone wearing brand name shoes that cost a fortune, you know that the person has plenty of money to splash around and doesn’t care about costs. So, shoes can tell you a lot about someone’s character.
- lace-ups = shoes with laces
- to slip something on and off = to put them on and take them off easily
- worn out = tatty, shabby, the worse for wear, tired
- sloppy = not tidy, lazy, slovenly
- cost a fortune = cost an arm and a leg, expensive
- have money to splash around = have money to waste, to throw around
Click to open link below:
- I will post vocabulary for shoes later this week.
- Vocabulary for Clothes
- Free Speaking Part 1 Video: Common Question Types
- Free Speaking Part 1 Video: Common Topics
- Tips: How long should your answer be?
- All IELTS Speaking Tips and Model Answers
Main IELTS Pages
Develop your IELTS skills with tips, lessons, free videos and more.
Get my free lessons by email