Nouman got Band Score 9 in IELTS Speaking this year, 2017. Below he shares his experience and tips of how he got 9 in IELTS speaking. You can find useful links for IELTS at the end of this article.
All students taking GT or Academic IELTS will take the same speaking test. There is only one speaking test for all students.
Band Score 9 in IELTS Speaking
How I scored Band 9 in IELTS Speaking
“I believe I managed to score a 9 with continuous practice and being myself in the test. The best thing is not to feel shy when you speak about any particular topic. Do not think that your thoughts might be too little or simple to express. Some of us may believe that if we are not full of knowledge, we may not be able to impress the examiner. In speaking module however, knowledge of the topic is not a big deal. The thoughts presented may just be of a lay man and do not need to reflect an in-depth understanding of the subject.
I never crammed any specific topics however; I did gather my thoughts for topics which I would have found difficult to talk about. For example, I have not been visiting many historical places in the past. The one or two that I have visited, I made sure that I gather sufficient thoughts about those places to talk about. Important thing is that those thoughts were purely my own and not learnt from a book or Wikipedia. Gathering own thoughts in your own words is important.“
Well done to you, Nouman, and thanks so much for sharing your tips!!! Liz
Liz’s Comments and Summary:
Nouman’s band score 9 advice is excellent. Here are his points in a list with some extra tips for IELTS Speaking:
- don’t be shy
- enjoy the chat with the examiner
- your ideas are not important – your knowledge is not being tested
- say your ideas with confidence and showcase your language skills
- simple ideas explained using excellent English can get you band score 9
- review topics
- think of your experiences relating to the topics
- if the topic is a museum, think of museums you have been to or would like to go to
- remember your past experiences
- speak from the heart – your English is better when you do that
- learn to express yourself using your own language
- imagine talking about your experienced and your views
Scoring 9 in Reading
Learn how one student scored band score 9 in IELTS reading: How I Scored 9 in Reading
Useful Links for IELTS Speaking
Click on the links to open them:
- Tips: Should I speaking fast or slow?
- How to start your talk in IELTS speaking part 2
- Asking the examiner questions
- Tips & Answers: All IELTS Speaking Model Answers & Tips
Main IELTS Pages
Develop your IELTS skills with tips, lessons, free videos and more.
- IELTS Listening
- IELTS Reading
- IELTS Writing Task 1
- IELTS Writing Task 2
- IELTS Speaking
- Vocabulary for IELTS
Get my free lessons by email