This lesson looks at how to write an IELTS essay introduction for an opinion essay. The introduction is the easiest part of any IELTS essay as it follows a similar content for all IELTS task 2 types.
This lesson is a follow-on lesson from last week. Learn how to find main points before continuing with this introduction lesson: Finding Main Points for an Opinion Essay:
Every one of us should become a vegetarian because eating meat can cause serious health problems.
To what extent do you agree or disagree?
How to write an IELTS essay introduction
- Write one statement paraphrasing the information given. This will be your background statement. Make sure you paraphrase the information exactly and don’t include any irrelevant or extra information in it.
- When you paraphrase, make sure you are using words that you are confident with. It is good to paraphrase but you will reduce your band score if you have too many errors.
- Introduce your answer in the thesis statement. The thesis statement follows the background statement. It should contain your answer, your main points.
- Don’t write more than 50 words for your introduction.
Eating meat is considered by some to damage our health and for that reason they believe all people should adopt a vegetarian diet. In my opinion, although a vegetarian diet is certainly a healthy option, having a balanced diet, which contains vegetables and some healthy meat, is the key.
- cause serious health problems = damage our health
- become a vegetarian = adopt a vegetarian diet
Next lesson, we will look at how to write the body paragraphs for this essay.
Finding Main Points for an Opinion Essay (Previous Lesson for this topic)
IELTS Video Lesson for Writing Task 2: How to write an introduction
IELTS Video Lesson for Writing Task 2: Connecting Sentences
IELTS Liz YouTube Channel