In IELTS writing task 2, you will need to use a range of linking words to connect your sentences and to make your essay coherent. If you are aiming for band score 6 and above, it is important to show the examiner that you can use a good range of linkers. This lesson is aimed at intermediate to upper intermediate levels.
Below are some sentences which relate to the topic of work. Fill in the gaps to complete the sentences by choosing the appropriate linking word. Please note that you will need to consider the grammatical structure of each sentence to choose the correct linking word.
1. It is generally agreed that professional people doing shift work, …………………. (like / such as / take for example) nurses, doctors and police, should be given compensation for unsociable hours in the form of better benefits and higher pay.
2. Working overtime has its compensations ……………… ( therefore / but / although) can have a detrimental effect on the family.
3. ……………..(However / Although / But) women have equal employment rights to men, there still exists a glass ceiling, in many countries, which can prevent them from reaching the upper levels of a company.
4. Juvenile delinquency, which is a growing issue in many countries, should be addressed by both schools and parents ……………………( consequently / so as to / so ) get to the root of the problem.
5. Technology has had a great impact on the way people work …………..(but / and / consequently) will no doubt continue to do so in the future.Answers
- such as (‘like’ is not appropriate to use / ‘take for example’ would require a different sentence structure to be used)
- but (‘although’ would require a different sentence structure to be used)
- so as to (this means ‘in order to’)
- Don’t just learn the meaning of linking words, learn how to use them correctly.
- Never use ‘like’ as a linking word in an academic essay.
- Don’t forget to use the linker ‘and’ – it is easy to use and still able to give you a high score.
- If you make mistakes with your linkers, you will struggle to get over band score 7 in Coherence and Cohesion, which is 25% of your marks.
IELTS Teachers and students can download this lesson for free on pdf file: linking-words-practice