This lesson will show you how to write a clearer thesis statement for a specific question essay. This is the introduction paragraph and is applicable to both the GT and academic paper.
Many people think that job satisfaction is important in work.
Do you think young people these days should be sure of getting job satisfaction before taking a new job or should they put salary first?
What can we see from this essay question?
- The essay question asks for your opinion (“Do you think….?”)
- The essay is about what people look for when they take a new job
- It is often thought that people should choose a new job for job satisfaction
- Others think that people should choose a new job for the salary
Here’s a student’s thesis statement for their introduction. How would you improve the thesis statement? Try to write this thesis statement again before you look at the models.
“While work satisfaction should be a motive for a successful employee, I do not think that salary must be a priority.”Model Thesis Statement
Here are two possible ways that the above thesis statement could be better written to make the answer clearer for the reader.
1. In my opinion, I think that work satisfaction should be the main motive for choosing a job rather than salary.
2. In my opinion, it is better for people to put satisfaction at work as a priority for choosing a job instead of aiming for a competitive salary.
Below is a model introduction with both a background and thesis statement. This offers yet another way to write the thesis statement:
An increasing number of people are prioritising job satisfaction as one of the most important factors in their work. In my opinion, I think that job satisfaction should be the deciding factor when considering a new job instead of aiming for a competitive salary.
Get my free lessons by email