Should I give my opinion in an IELTS writing task 2 essay? This is a common question that many students ask me. To know whether you should put your opinion in your essay or not, you should read the instructions given by IELTS. IELTS very carefully for each task. You need to read them and follow them. Below are some tips to help you understand:
- read the instructions, follow them and answer the question
- don’t put your opinion unless you are asked to give it
- if the question asks what you think, you MUST give your opinion to get a good score
Here are examples of instructions that require you to give your opinion:
- “….do you agree?” – it means you should give your opinion
- “…do you think…?” – it means you should give your opinion
- “… your opinion…? – it means you should give your opinion
- “…what is your view?” – it means you should give your opinion
- “Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?” – this is asking for your opinion (your answer) not the opinions of other people
How to give your opinion. Follow the link to learn if you should use “I” or “my” in your IELTS essay.
Below are some IELTS essay questions. Decide if you think you should give your opinion or not. Then check the answer.
Some people think that rich countries should support poor countries in terms of aid for health care and education. To what extend do you agree?
While some people think that the problem with education in poor countries is the teaching methodology used, others believe it is the lack of resources that is the real issue. Discuss both sides.
With the development of modern transportation comes environmental problems. What possible solutions are there to these problems?
Some people believe that schools should not assess a student’s ability through exams but instead assess them by their course work and project work over the whole academic year. Do you agree?
Having a year off before starting universities is becoming increasingly common. Do you think this is a positive or negative trend?
Many children no longer read books and instead spend their time using modern technology. While some people think this is a positive trend, others think it is a problem. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
Due to the low cost of flights, many people are choosing to holiday abroad rather than have holidays in their own country. What are the advantages and disadvantages to this?
IELTS Teachers or students can download a worksheet for these questions to use in their classroom: ielts-writing-task-2-giving-your-opinion