You can be given two pie charts to compare in IELTS writing task 1. Below are easy steps to write each paragraph in order to describe your pie chart in a complete report. Each step takes you through a paragraph practice and sample models. Learn about the introduction, overview and body paragraphs for your pie chart.
You must paraphrase the information given at the top of the charts “The graph shows the main sources of energy for the USA in 1980 and 1990”. You cannot copy this, you must use your own language.
- the graph = the pie chart
- shows = illustrates
- main sources of energy = energy production from different sources
- for the USA = don’t change this
- in 1980 and 1990 = in two different years (1980 and 1990)
Try writing your introduction before checking the model answer. Model
The overview contains the key features of the charts. Answer the questions below to find the key features.
- What was the main source of energy in 1980?
- What was the main source of energy in 1990?
- Which produced the least energy in 1980?
- Which produced the least energy in 1990?
- Did the amount of energy produced by each source change a lot or just a little between the years?
- Did all types of energy increase by 1990?
Now write your overview before you check the model. Model
Body Paragraph A
This paragraph will give details about oil and hydroelectric power, which we highlighted in the overview above.
- You will need to write one sentence about oil comparing the percentage each year and then one sentence about hydroelectric power comparing the years.
- You must add data (percentages and dates) to support each sentence
Here are two example sentences. Fill in the gaps with the right words.
The amount of energy produced by oil in the USA 1. ………………. 42% in 1980 and this, then, 2. ………………….. to a third (33%) in 1990. The proportion of energy from hydroelectric power, 3………………, remained constant in both years ………a mere 5%. Answers
- accounted for / comprised of / made up / was
- fell / declined / dropped / went down / decreased
- on the other hand / by contrast / in contrast ( we use a linker to highlight that this is opposing information to the previous sentence)
Body Paragraph B
This paragraph will give detail about the other sources of energy in the pie charts.
- which sources increased?
- which sources decreased?
- what were the percentages for each source?
Again, fill in the gaps in these model sentences.
The energy generated by natural gas, which was the second 1. …………… source of energy in the USA in 1980, fell 2. ………. 1% to a quarter of all energy produced in 1990. In contrast, production by coal 3. ……………… from 22% to 27% in 1990 4. …………….. there was a 5% rise in energy from nuclear power to reach 10% in the second year. Answers
- largest / major
- by (this is used when writing about differences in amounts)
- increased / rose / went up / climbed / grew
- while / whereas
Get my free lessons by email