Below are some ideas for the advantages and disadvantages which tourism brings to a community. These ideas can be used both for speaking part 3 and also writing task 2 in IELTS.
Over the last few decades, there has been an increase in international tourism. Some people think that tourism is beneficial for local communities and should be encouraged.
To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Speaking Part 3 Questions
- Do you think tourism is a good thing?
- Why do you think some people believe tourism to be bad for local communities?
- Do you think local communities change as an effect of tourism?
- Do you think there are more advantages than disadvantages of tourism for local communities?
Don’t forget we are looking at the effects of tourism as an industry rather than a tourist as a person. Don’t confuse the two.
Advantages of Tourism
- Tourism brings money and boosts the economy.
- It offers employment to local people.
- It offers fresh perspectives on life and culture.
- Locals usually need to learn English to talk to tourists which can have beneficial long term effects.
- To boost tourism, local communities often invest money on improving the infrastructure which has lasting positive effects.
Disadvantages of Tourism
- Tourism can create a economic dependency which can be detrimental to the community if it is not sustainable.
- Tourism can have a negative impact on the local environment in terms of pollution.
- noise pollution from tourist entertainment
- air pollution from increased transportation
- Tourism can cause friction between locals and tourists, if local culture is not respected.
- The bulk of the money brought in by tourism rarely finds its way into local hands and instead lines the pockets of the middle man (the tour operator).