This essay question was reported this month in IELTS writing task 2. Although I’m currently on holiday, I wanted to share some ideas with you for this essay question.
Some people say that cars are best to use in cities while others think that bicycles are better. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
Here are some ideas for this essay question.
- Cars are able to transport a number of people rather than only one as well as bulky items.
- Travelling by car is more time effective.
- Car travel is comfortable which enables the driver to arrive fresh at their destination.
- Travelling by car in a city is often safer because the frame of the vehicle and safety mechanisms can protect the driver.
- In cold climates, where temperatures drop to near or below freezing in winter, cars are a better option.
- Cars are able to cover great distances which bring more people into city centers and boost the local economy.
- Cars are the most sensible option for people with weak health, the elderly or those that need to conserve their energy for their work.
- This form of transportation is more environmentally friendly as there are no exhaust fumes to pollute the atmosphere and no fuel is required which would deplete world resources.
- Using bicycles is a healthier way to travel and helps busy people incorporate exercise into their daily lives.
- Cycling is a cheap and sustainable form of transportation.
- Travelling by bicycles rarely results in traffic congestion regardless of the amount of traffic on the roads
- Car parks take up much needed space in cities which is avoided by using bicycles.
- Bicycles are simple to maintain and cheap to repair.
If you can think of more ideas to share, please post them in the comments box below.
Get my free lessons by email