This is a new topic which has appeared in the least few months in part 1 of the IELTS speaking test. Below are some questions for this topic.
- How many hours do you usually sleep at night?
- What time do you go to bed?
- Do you go to bed at the same time everyday?
- Do you ever have a nap during the day?
- Do you think sleep is important?
Here is a question with a model answer for this topic:
Q. Do you often take a nap during the day?
A. To be honest, I hardly ever nod off during the day but, I suppose, if I’ve had a really exhausting day, which is pretty rare, I may have a short siesta after lunch.
- nap (a short sleep)
- snooze (a short sleep)
- nod off (go to sleep – often used for daytime sleeping)
- drift off to sleep (slowly go off to sleep)
- deep sleep
- struggle to get to sleep
- sleeping pill (medication to help someone get to sleep)
- 40 winks (short sleep of a few minutes)
- siesta (short sleep after lunch – Spanish in origin)
The Importance of Sleep is an IELTS reading exercise to practice summary completion for this topic. It contains some more useful vocabulary for you.