This lesson provides important tips and techniques for IELTS true, false, not given and yes, no , not given questions. Learning how to answer these questions, what techniques to use, important tips and common traps are essential to success in T F NG questions.
True False Not Given: IELTS Video Tutorial
Homework: True, False Not Given
Decide if the following question is true, false or not given.
- Passage: By the second half of the 17th century, coffee had found its way to Europe.
- Question: Coffee arrived in Europe after the 17th century.
Click below to reveal the answer to the homework question:
The answer is false. “second half of the 17th century” means from the middle of the 17th century to the end of the 17th century – so this is still in the 17th century. That means it has an opposite meaning to the statement which says coffee arrived after the 17th century.
Summary of TFNG & YNNG Tips
Below is a list of the main tips. However, you should watch the video to understand them clearly for maximum benefit.
- Spend time analysing the statement in the question before you try to find the answer
- Many words will be paraphrased so watch out for that (for example, work = employment / changing = altering)
- Don’t match just key words, you are aiming to match meaning. Some of the key words might be the same in the passage but it doesn’t mean the answer is true or yes.
- The meaning of false or no is that the statement is opposite to the information or claims in the passage.
- Not Given means that the whole meaning of the statement is not in the passage. The key words might be found but not the full meaning of the statement.
- If the question is true false or not given, you can’t write yes or no on your answer sheet. Make sure you write the correct word.
- You can write T instead of True on your answer sheet but make sure your handwriting is clear.
- TFNG is about information in the passage / YNNG is about the claims of the writer in the passage.
- The answers follow the order of information in the passage.
- Learn common traps