IELTS sentence completion questions are very common in IELTS reading. This practice is to help you understand about the importance of paraphrasing. You need to learn which words can and cannot be paraphrased. Read the passage below and then answer the questions.
Penguins are one of about 40 species of flightless birds, a category that also includes the ostrich, emu and kiwi. Penguins are neither the smallest nor the largest of the lot, but some may think of them as the most interesting.
These waddling birds are known for their white bellies and dark-colored backs and wings, resembling a tuxedo. This distinct coloring is thought to hide penguins from predators in the sea. Besides its coloring, a penguin’s body is designed for swimming, and includes tapering at both ends of the body for hydrodynamics, paddle-like wings and web-shaped feet.
Complete the sentences. Choose no more than two words and / or a number from the passage for each answer.
1. The ostrich, emu, kiwi and penguin are from the same group of ……….… birds.
2. Penguins can conceal themselves from predators with their ……………………..
‘flightless’ is the only adjective that can possibly fit into the sentence from the first paragraph
2. distinct colouring
Passage take from – here.
- resemble = look like, similar to
- distinct = clear, well-defined
- belly (bellies) = stomach
- hide = conceal
- predators = killers (in this reading passage it refers to sharks and seals etc
- tapering = narrowing
Get my free lessons by email