Here are some tips to help you with how to choose the best title for the reading passage below.
Tips for Choosing a Title
- This question type is usually the last question of the passage
- By the time you come to this question, you will already have read skim read the passage
- You should find the main aim of the passage
- Analyse all the options for the title
- Common trap – there will probably be information about all options in the passage – you need to find the main aim / message
- Always look at the introduction sentence and concluding sentence to see if there is a similar message
Coffee is one of the most popular hot drinks in the world. Almost a third of the world’s population drinks coffee. People often meet at cafes or coffee shops for a coffee break during the middle of the morning or stop work in the afternoon to drink coffee.
About 7 million tons of coffee is produced every year. Brazil is, by far, the world’s largest coffee producer. About a third of the world’s production comes from this South American country. Other coffee producing countries include Vietnam, Indonesia and Colombia.
The United States is the biggest coffee consumer in the world. About 1.2 billion kilograms of coffee are consumed there every year. Drinking coffee is extremely popular in European countries, like Italy, France and Germany, as well as in Brazil.
Choose the correct letter A – C
Which is the best title for the passage below?
A. Coffee – a popular hot drink
B. Coffee – the main consumers
C. Coffee – the main producers
The first sentence of the passage and the last sentence of the passage both give the same aim – popularity.
It is not B because information about consumers is only given in two sentences.
It is not C because only the middle paragraph gives information about producers. It is not mentioned in the opening paragraph or closing paragraph.