This lesson is to practice map completion for IELTS listening. First, there is some sentence completion and then you must do the map completion exercise.
Tips for Maps
- Check the location of each number on your map
- Think of language that might be used to describe that location
- Look for any arrows on the map
- Answers to questions will come in order (the answer for question 1 will come before the answer for question 2 in the recording)
- Most map recordings are similar to a guided tour which follows a logical order
- Don’t be distracted by extra information
- Don’t forget to make notes – you can write all over your question paper
- when you make notes, avoid writing long words – just use abbreviations or simple letters
Map Listening Practice: The Taj Mahal
- The Taj Mahal was completed in ……………..
- Around ………… labourers were used in its creation.
Label the map below using no more than two words and/or a number.
Welcome to the Taj Mahal. This is one of the most famous monuments to love in the world. It was built between 1631 and 1653 in the city of Agra by the Mughal Emperor Shah as a mausoleum for his wife. The construction involved some 20,000 workers and incorporated materials from China, Tibet, Sri Lanka and Arabia.
We are here at the Outer Gate and directly in front of us is the forecourt. On the left hand side of the forecourt, you will see some subsidiary tombs and opposite that are the tomb attendants’ quarters. If you go straight ahead, you will come to the Great Gate and beyond that is the formal gardens. The gardens are divided into 4 sections by paths which represent the 4 rivers of paradise. Midway, where the paths intersect, is a marble pond, in which the mausoleum is beautifully reflected. Walking through the gardens, past the pond, you will come to the mausoleum itself which has a marble dome, 35m high. Each side of the building has archways which are framed by carefully chosen verses from the Qur’an in beautifully stylised calligraphy. To the left of this, is the mosque and to the right you can find a guesthouse. Now I’ll give you some time to wander round and see this marvel for yourself.
- forecourt (you must have the correct spelling)
- Great Gate (capital letters not important – see IELTS Exam FAQ page)
- pond / marble pond
- guesthouse / guest house
IELTS Listening: Free Practice and Tips
Click to see IELTS Listening Tips
Get my free lessons by email