Sentence Completion for IELTS Listening
This IELTS listening practice is based on sentence completion or gap fill questions. Read through the sentences, predict what types of answers you need for each gap and then listen to complete the sentences. Pay attention to the number of words possible for each answer. This is similar to listening in section 2.
Why we have festivals
Complete the sentences using no more than two words and/or a number.
- Festivals are useful to ……………… the cultural traditions of different countries.
- The majority of festivals can be traced back to a cultural ………..
- Festivals are a time when …………….. are put aside.
- Although countries have different festivals, their ……………. is often the same.
A festival is an event which is celebrated collectively. Festivals are mostly celebrated to propagate the cultural heritage of nations. Most festivals have their origins in a cultural belief which has been passed down through the generations. Festivals help to promote solidarity and the patriotic spirit in society by bring people closer together in harmony as they celebrate the festival. During this time, differences are forgotten and the national cultural identity predominates. By celebrating international festivals, it helps to promote tolerance, reduce racial conflict and encourages the acceptance of cultural diversity in a country. While there are marked differences in the way festivals are celebrated all over the world, there is a similarity in the purpose that the festival serves.
- differences (the answer must be plural)