Below is a recently reported essay question with some useful ideas. Read through the ideas and learn any new vocabulary.
Some people think that it is important to teach children the skill of handwriting.
To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Reasons in Support of Children Learning Handwriting Skills
- handwriting is a basic tool in many subjects, for example doing tests, taking notes and writing homework.
- poor handwriting skills or illegible writing can have negative effects on school performance
- learning handwriting is linked to learning to spell, basic reading and grammar
- these are basic and fundamental requirements for any school child
- good handwriting skills should be taught at an early age to form good habits as it is essential later in life
- in some situations it is better to write by hand rather than type
- there is a link between cognition and writing by hand
- children learn better when they are forced to write something by hand
- teaching children how to touch-type would be more useful
- being proficient in the use of modern technological devices by touch typing is essential for the future
- focusing on handwriting which is less relevant today, is a waste of time for children
- time could be better spent on developing other useful skills and knowledge
- handwriting is linked to learning to spell but spell check is a function that all computers have
- therefore less time should be spent focusing on this