Is it wrong to go off topic in IELTS speaking part 2? Will you get a lower band score if you go off topic? Do you get a higher band score if you stay with the topic and follow the prompts given in IELTS speaking part 2? See the tips below to learn how your IELTS speaking is marked.
- Is it essential to follow the prompts on your cue card for speaking part 2?
- No, it isn’t. The prompts on the cue card are guidelines and support to help you build your talk.
- Will you get a lower score if you don’t complete the cue card prompts?
- No, you won’t. You can choose which prompts you want to use. You can ignore some and use others. You don’t get a lower score if you don’t complete the cue card prompts.
- Are there questions to answer on the cue card?
- No. There are no questions on your cue card. There are only prompts which are suggestions that will help you give a full talk. It is your choice to use them or not.
- Can you add information in speaking part 2 that isn’t on the cue card?
- Yes, you can. It is recommended that you add information to expend your talk. You will not get a lower score if you go off the topic by adding extra information that is not on your card.
- Is the examiner marking your ability to use the prompts on the cue card?
- No. You are not marked on ideas at all. You are only marked on your use of English language.
- I heard that going off topic will reduce your score. Is that true?
- Not for IELTS speaking. It is true for IELTS writing. In IELTS writing, you are marked on your response, ideas and being on topic. This is not the case for IELTS speaking. You can learn how band scores are marked on the links below.
- Should you follow the prompts on the card?
- I recommend that you use the prompts and also add extra information. The prompts are useful and provide a structure to your talk which will help your score. Adding extra information is a useful way to showcase your English language for a higher score.
Learn about how your speaking and other skills are marked: IELTS Band Score Explained
Prepare ideas for Common IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics
Learn more tips for IELTS Speaking on the Main IELTS Speaking Page of this website.
Main IELTS Pages
Develop your IELTS skills with tips, lessons, free videos and more.
Get my free lessons by email