The essay question below is currently being used in IELTS writing task 2 and was reported last weekend.
In many countries in the world, some people earn extremely high salaries. Some people think that this good for a country. Others think that the government should not allow salaries above a certain level. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Why some people earning high salaries is good for a country:
- people who are highly skilled and talented should be rewarded with high salaries.
- high salaries are an incentive for others to work harder.
- high salaries are important to entice people to do dangerous or unpleasant work.
- having high salaries is a sign of a country’s wealth.
- high salaries is a way for a country to express their gratitude for a person’s experience or expertise.
- high salaries deter skilled or talented people leaving a country.
Why the government should now allow salaries above a certain level:
- the government should ensure that wealth is evenly distributed throughout a country.
- limiting high salaries would bring more equality.
- it can be disheartening for some to receive a low salary while others receive a high salary without much justification.
- capping high salaries will prevent the rich from gaining unfair control over certain aspects of society.
- limiting high salaries will mean more funding for public services which will benefit all people in society.
Get my free lessons by email