This essay question was reported in April 2015. It is about the employment of older people and the problems this creates.
IELTS Essay Question
Nowadays, more and more younger people need to compete with older people for the same jobs.
What problems does this cause? What would you suggest as a solution?
This essay question focuses on younger people. The instructions ask for problems and solution. Always note whether you are asked to give the causes or the problems.
IELTS Essay Ideas
Problems caused by young and old people competing for work
- young people will have to compete with older people who have more experience which might mean some young people fail to find work
- with greater competition for jobs comes more unemployment
- high unemployment in young people can cause unrest in society leading to problems such as crime
- if old people are not able to compete with young people, they may not be able to get a job
- without adequate financial means to support themselves, old people may be thrown into poverty
- with a growing world population of elderly people, this can be a huge financial crisis
Solutions for young people competing for work
- one effective solution could be to provide sufficient social benefits for older people to allow them to retire without loosing their standard of living
- by fixing a clear retirement age over which no one can be employed, it will ensure that the young do not need to compete against older people for work
- have a fixed quota of jobs set aside for people under a certain age and over a certain age to avoid so much competition
- another possible answer is to offer a job share between elderly and young people so that both groups can gain some form of employment
- alternatively, older people could be employed purely to pass on their knowledge and experience to the young rather than taking their positions at work
Alternative Essay Question
Nowadays, more and more older people compete with younger people for the same jobs.
What are the reasons for this? What would you suggest as a solution?
This essay question focuses on older people. You must provide the causes (reasons) why older people compete and also solutions for this situation.
Reasons why old people compete with young people for work
- older people continue being fit for work for longer so wish to continue working
- some older people do not have enough money put aside for their pensions so must work
- some elderly people do not want such a long tedious retirement and wish to continue working
- as older people work for longer, there are less jobs available for the younger generation
- increased life expectancy raise the proportions of working elderly people
The solutions are the same as given above.
Main IELTS Pages
Develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free videos and more.
Get my free lessons by email