“Do you think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?” is a common IELTS essay question in writing task 2 which many students struggle with. Below is an sample essay question to practice this type of essay and also some tips to help you.
To learn in detail how to answer “do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?” using the right technique, see my Advanced IELTS Writing Task 2 Lessons.
Essay Question Sample
In recent years, more and more people are choosing to read e-books rather than paper books.
Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?
Tips for Outweigh Questions
To answer this question you must:
- brainstorm ideas supporting both sides first
- this question is asking for your opinion
- answer the question – do you think the advantages or the disadvantages are most important? Which one?
- put your answer to the question in the thesis statement in your introduction
- you can use the word “outweigh” in your introduction if you want
- or you can simply explain if there are more advantages or disadvantages in your opinion
- avoid formulaic statements for your thesis statement – this means don’t use a memorised phrase
- have one body paragraph which gives details about the opposite side to your opinion
- have either one or two body paragraphs which give details of the side you chose to support
- re-state your opinion in the conclusion using different language
- The “outweigh” essay question is not exactly the same as the Advantages and Disadvantages essay question.
- This type of question is very different from the “positive or negative” essay question.
Post your essay in the comments box below for other students to comment on or, if I have time, I might post a comment myself to help you improve.
Recommended for Writing Task 2
- Advantage Disadvantage Sample Essay Questions
- Advs & Disadv Essay Model Answer
- Positive Negative Development Essay Model Answer
- All Writing Task 2 Tips, Model Answers and Free Videos
- Advanced IELTS Writing Task 2 Lessons
Main IELTS Pages
Develop your IELTS skills with tips, lessons, free videos and more.
Get my free lessons by email